A Historic Haven
The Historic Midtown Elizabeth Special Improvement District is called historic because it is steeped in history.
The First Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth dates back to the 1600s. Phillip Carteret, the first colonial governor, had an office there. The New Jersey Legislature held its first meeting there in 1668. On the church grounds is one of New Jersey’s most historical burial sites.
Next to the church is Snyder Academy, which once saw both Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, two of the nation’s founding fathers, as students. After renovations, it is now a museum, art gallery, and meeting place.
In recent days, Elizabeth has erected monuments to fallen firefighters, the victims of the September 11 attack, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Medal of Honor winners.